Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Get Your Sunglasses...And We Have A Winner!


Alright!
I have decided before I go any further that I need to have
an acronym to let you know
when I am using my New Year's Resolution in my projects.
One more reminder of what it was.
I decided in 2010 to use at least one 'OLD SOMETHING' from my stash of papers, embellishments, stamps and more, 
in at least one project a week.
I've been doing really well with it.
In fact, for the most part, I have made this work
in just about EVERY project I've made so far this year.

So from this point on, when I 'BREAK OUT THE OLD' or 'BOO',
you will know exactly what I'm talking about!



Going bold and bright, so this is where you need your shades!



Lottsa BOO here!  Broke out my Heidi Grace from this past summer to create this fun Valentine card.  Still working on those cards that my mom needed and this is one of the final creations.  The only thing that is not Heidi Grace is the heart just under the 'love' heart.
That's a bit of Prima's Harlequin pattern from their
'Nursery Rhyme Collection'.



While I had the Heidi Grace at hand, I couldn't resist making another batch of these
fabulous layered flowers that I featured last week
(you can see those HERE).





And while I was at it, a little more BOO with very, very old  
Keeping Memories Alive paper.
I have to tell you that, these papers are so old,
they came in 8 1/2 x 11 only...it was
BEFORE 12 x 12 was really on the market!
I believe the large polka dots were from
My Mind's Eye's 'Wild Asparagus' line....I think.



A little something new... the beautiful 'Mariposa Collection'
from DCWV.  I know, I know...a little crazy with the flowers!

But that brings me to the winner of the
'Using What You Have' Giveaway.




The contest was...
What can YOU tell me about the patterned paper that was used?
Take a good look at the photos above and really zero in on the patterned flowers on the left.
1. Who manufactures this paper?
2.  What makes this particular 'sheet' unusual?

OUR WINNER IS...
 Kathy W  
Kathy had the closest guess.  
You all did a fabulous job and gave it some real thought.
 The actual answer to question # 1 is Prima
The answer to question #2 was a bit tricky, but I told you it was something unusual.
The flowers were actually made from 
the front cover art of the entire collection.

Kathy, I just need your mailing address so I can send out your
Prima Sampler Paper & one of my handmade flowers.
Email me at julieranae@hotmail.com 

I know this has been a long post,
but here's what I want to know from you...

If you were to do BOO along with me, what would be one of the OLDEST
things from your creative stash that could be used?
I won't hold you to using it, after all, there are many reasons why we haven't! (Can anyone say 'emotional attachment?)
Please leave a comment 
and let's have fun with this trip down memory lane!


12 comments:

Sandi said...

great color choices and wonderful texture, Hugs

farmhouse-story said...

i just used some very old raggedy ann paper on a card. i've been hanging on to it forever!

Sharli Schaitberger said...

Way cool!!! I LOVE the BOO challenge - I'll look for OLD things to use up.

Your valentine is just wonderful - the argyle pattern is very eye-catching and the sparkle and bling on the heart is great!

C said...

Cute, cute card and love those little layered flowers...I already know my oldest thing and promised a blogger buddy I'd use it and haven't yet...the first stamp I ever bought..a little teddy bear.

Gwen's Busy Little Hands said...

Wow...many years ago I bought a butterfly print paper that I absolutely loved. 8 1/2 x 11 in size. Got two sheets of it. I've wanted to use it for something special but...it is so pretty I just hate to cover it up. LOL! Maybe one day I'll find a way to use it and won't feel a pang in my little chest over doing so.

Smiles!
Gwen

Anonymous said...

I love what you're doing. And how great to revisit all the wonderful stuff you adored last year and then forgot about! Why didn't I think of a sensible resolution like yours? It's so much easier than doing something every day! And the results are fabulous.

Meghana said...

Oh my GOsh!!! I absolutely love the flowers you've made. They're like little pieces of art in themselves. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog. It is so inspiring for a novice stamper like me!!! Your work is definitly inspiring!!

Tamie said...

Well Julie it really depends which creative stash your talking about...LOL. That sounds bad doesn't. I have a cross stitch that I bought about 9 years ago (butterflies and an amazing saying) ago and yarn that is probably 11 years old (dusty rose I think). My stamping stash would be some bling...gems from a dollar store, I just have never found away to use them. They must be at least 5 years. I don't know Julie this sounds really bad...LOL. The work you have done on here is amazing I love the hearts and the flowers. Are the flowers cut out individually or a punch? Oh and I do think it is funny that The Play Date Cafe and I have the same back ground, great minds think alike I guess. I could change it if you would like, I was just looking at new backgrounds last night and picked one. Thanks also for taking the time to post such wonderful comments on my cards. I look forward to following you and your amazing crafting journey.

Shelley said...

Hi Julie,

Thanks for stopping my blog and leaving a kind comment! I've enjoyed looking through all your creations. You a fearless in your color combos. I am not so much! But I see you love vintage. That covers a lot of territory, but I'd share with you my other VINTAGE blog.

http://madeorfound.blogspot.com/

I don't contribute to it as much as my stamping blog, but I do have a few people on my bloglist I absolutely LOVE! Maybe you'll check them out.

Shelley

Christine said...

I have no idea what my oldest would be. It would probably be some stamps though. I just don't keep that close a watch.

Thanks for stoping by my blog! Love that Mariposa paper!

Blessings,
Christine

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

HA! LOVE the BOO!! I'll see if I can BOO soon:) Thanks for making me smile:)

Asia King (aka Joanna K) said...

Hello, knock, knock! Just wanted to have a quick peek through your lovely window to say "hello" and I am seeing lots of little treasures here! This is going to be a much longer peek, that's for sure ;-) I love your blog! And the layered flowers are simply magnificent! Love it, love it! Ps. Thank you for the lovely comments on my blog ;)