Sunday, August 16, 2009

A Scary Day For Lucy


I know this is a bit of an unusual post for me, but since I have shared the highs and lows of my children and grandchildren, it seemed the best place to share a bit of a scare this past weekend.

Lucy is our 15 year old cat who has lived all of her life on the 'inside'. As you can see from one of these photos, she has enjoyed a little bit of life on the 'outside' as she has taken to sitting with her 'mom' out on the patio. Well, for the first time in her 15 years, a couple of fleas made their home in Lucy's beautiful coat. Speaking with someone at the pet store for 20 minutes, we came to the conclusion that a collar and a little 'all natural spray' should be all we need to sort this out.

After 24 hours, Lucy didn't quite seem herself. Even at 15, she is pretty spry and something just didn't seem right. Within an hour of sensing this, I had to rush her for an ER visit to the vet and we were told that she was having an allergic reaction to the collar. Because of her age and never having chemicals in her body, it wasn't a surprise. They wanted to keep her in the hospital for a few days, give her a bath and shots that would potentially make her heart race with an IV of fluids. We had to think long and hard because we lost Lucy's sister Samantha several years back when we left her at the vet to be monitored and those emotions all came flooding back for us.

Long story somewhat shortened...we brought Lucy home and decided to do what we thought was best, which was give her the bath ourselves and just pray she would get over this. I just couldn't see at her age 'tanking' her up with more chemicals if we didn't know how her 15 year old body would react....after all, I never thought she would react to a simple flea collar.

I am happy to say that today, Lucy seems back to her old self. She is eating, drinking and doing all the 'normal' things a Lucy-cat would do.

So I hope you will forgive that I don't have a creative project for you today. I have been a bit sidetracked by this and just need to get the juices flowing again. Thanks for indulging me with this personal story.

One more thing...if you are still participating in the AI Blog Hop, it's the next post down.
So please read on and enjoy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

aaww poor Lucy....and poor you too - its so stressful when a beloved family pet falls ill.Im pleased to hear she's making a nice recovery.

Francie G. said...

So glad to hear your fur Lucy baby is all better! Hugs, Fran

Miss Boo (a.k.a. jen70) said...

Lucy is beautiful! I'm so glad to hear she is back to herself... which worried me when I first started to read the post. We lost one of our cats earlier in the summer. It's like losing a member of your family. So happy that she is still with you!

Susan (peebsmama) said...

Lucy is so beautiful. I'm glad her health issues were short lived and that she is feeling better now. As a cat owner and lover myself, I know that those emergency trips to the vet can be as harrowing as if it was a family member. Especially since they can't speak for themselves and tell you what's wrong.